Your immune system has its guard up 24X7, from when you are awake to when you are asleep, every day of the year, of every year of your breathing life. This is the line of protection that safeguards the health and wellness of your body. Our lifestyle plays a key role in how the immune system operates, and how efficiently it can protect you from viruses, allergens, infections, and so on. Viruses affect every aspect of your body from the brain to the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. One of the most common forms of viruses that the immune system safeguards you from includes Cold and Flu viruses. Out of all the things that determine the efficiency of your immune system, what you eat has a big weightage in determining how good a fight it puts up against those invading viruses.
Boosting Your Immune System Naturally
Your immune system is prepared best to take on the viruses when you eat foods that provide a steady supply of nutrients. A diet that has plant-based food will help in stimulating the natural killer cell activity. Natural killer cells are responsible for pursuing pathogens that are responsible for common respiratory ailments.
Immune Response Boosting Foods
There are some foods that you can include in a plant-based meal which will help your immune system best sharpen its tools.
- Flax seeds are one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids and help in reducing inflammation. Rather than the fatty acids, there are sizable fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, and E which help strengthen your immune system.
- Fruits and vegetables must have a space reserved on your plate. The brighter and more colorful your plate, the better! Vibrant colors mean that there is plenty of anti-oxidizing and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals such as anthocyanidins, polyphenols, carotenes, and flavonoids.
- Mushrooms are also one great source of immune booster foods, with a particular variety called Chaga. This variety contains certain polysaccharides and antioxidants that help in regulating inflammation and immunity responsiveness
- Leafy bitter greens will help in boosting liver function. Liver health is essential to ensure healthy T-cell production and help in strengthening the immune system on the whole. Bitter greens like Argula and Dandelion will help in this regard.
- Apart from these, you can add Vitamin C, Magnesium, and selenium, to help give your immune system that fighting chance.
There are easy plant-based diets that can help in elevating your immunity game, and these are some foods that will make a lasting effect.